Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Enlarged Mini Trip Around the World

Twelve more blocks finished and the top sewn together. The quilt will be six by seven blocks or approximately 72" by 84". Here it is.

Red, orange, pink, and yellow squares form diagonals on this scrappy mini trip quilt

Here was the planned layout on the floor. Somehow the blocks became reversed while sewing. {Who did that?} It still looks good; one of the joys of scrap quilts. The colors are a bit brighter in this photo than the previous. The real colors are somewhere between these two.

Enlarged Mini Trip Around the World 

When I last laid these out, the blocks seemed a bit too bright/dark. So for the final twelve I used fewer dark and bright strips. Just to tone it down a bit.

Finishing this quilt doesn't take long when many of the blocks are strip pieced. I also learned some finer points from this exercise. For example, since I like strong diagonals I made sure a red/orange/yellow strip occurred every seventh or eighth strip. Then I opened the tube at that fabric so they made most of the main diagonals.

Note: If you strictly make your preferred color on the main diagonal, you'll have a larger "square" where four blocks meet at the corners. If you alternate seventh and eighth locations you get more of an Irish Chain style. Does this make sense?

Of course, you can be completely random, too.

Enjoy the day, Ann

17 comments:

Ariane said...

Wow! I love it!! This quilt top looks amazing! I need to make one like this!

Yanicka said...

Love it!!! This one is on my to do list :)

Monica said...

It looks beautiful in all these pretty colours, Ann! I love that colourwash effect. :D

Angie in SoCal said...

Like both versions. Now that it is so big, how does it qualify as a mini - the size of the blocks? Fabulous!

patty a. said...

Such a pretty quilt top!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Your blocks are looking great! Lovely and scrappy! I'm trying to look closely, are you using mainly toneontone fabrics?

Ann said...

It's a fun way to use up scraps.

Ann said...

I'd like to see yours when it's done. These are always charming.

Ann said...

Thanks, Monica. It's interesting how the layout changes the effect. Putting similar colors together gives that colorwash.

Ann said...

You're right, Angie. This should really be a Scrappy Trip Around the World. Mini Trip is something else but this looks similar to one if you count four together as a small (mini) trip.

Ann said...

It's a mix, Linda. Some are very strongly patterned. But most of the lighter colors are small prints rather than those large scale prints you've been using.

Mystic Quilter said...

Beautiful, beautiful quilt!! I love your thinking with the red/yellow/orange strips, although it's a scrap quilt adding a touch of continuity works so well.

Cathy said...

I always forget about using scraps in a TATW. Thanks for the lovely reminder. I wouldn't have known you mixed up blocks if you hadn't told us. Both layouts look wonderful to me.

Ann said...

I'm finding a bit of organization makes a much more attractive quilt, too. Guess we think alike.

Ann said...

I've been on a "string" scrap style for a bit. I'm forgetting some of the other great scrap ideas. Funny how that works, isn't it?

Janie said...

I agree, that's a beautiful exciting quilt, nice work!

Kaja said...

This is working beautifully; the way the colours ebb and flow makes it much more interesting and appealing to my eyes than a standard TATW.