Saturday, May 20, 2017

Spring Cleaning

Perhaps because of all the pollen this year, I've taken to spring cleaning with a vengeance. All the pillows have been washed; furniture moved, dusted, and polished; drawers are being emptied, sorted, and restocked. I've even reorganized my fabric boxes. And look what I found: a collection of squares cut for a class last year with Sujata Shah. That was when my family life went to pieces so I didn't take take the class and forgot about them. An easy project to sew this week and part of my plan to build a Parts Department a la Freddy and Gwen.

Fabric for Crossroads blocks

By the end of the day I had these completed.

Crossroads blocks

#AHIQtwoblocks continues Tuesday. CCII/Stacked Bricks needs a border. Might these work?

Possible Crossroads border on CCII
 
The Xs aren't beefy enough to suit; they look wimpy compared to the stars. But the lighter backgrounds give me some ideas. Although these blocks don't work here, more fabric choices have emerged.

I pulled out my stash and set each piece on the top. This is my go-to method to ensure every possibility is tried. Purple is a possibility or perhaps blue?

After a couple of hours, here are the best choices so far.

Fabric possibilities for the next round

Some fabrics might be good colors but are the wrong print. For example, that whale fabric is a wonderful color but the print doesn't work with this quilt. Well, perhaps I'm wrong. {Won't be the first time.} Think seastars rather than celestial stars. There are starfish on that print that could match the red stars.

Testing some light fabrics.
Lavender and white print choices

None of these makes my heart beat faster when placed against the center. I'm going to try more lights tomorrow. If nothing works, a shopping trip may be required.

Enjoy the day,
Ann

22 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

LOVE the blocks from your Sujata class project and I agree with your assessment of options shown here. Keep auditioning and you will find the right mix!!

Monica said...

Yes, those Crossroads blocks really look good. Maybe some more green background for the next round?

LA Paylor said...

wow
wowie! Those are all so exciting. Inspiring! Whee! the reds especially

Ann said...

Thanks, Julie. I think they will be perfect somewhere else. I will keep thinking about border ideas.

Ann said...

I think pale greens might be a good choice.

Ann said...

Yes. Red is my favorite. Why don't I use it more often? Saving it for my heirs? Must make red quilts now.

Sujata Shah said...

I may gain a lot if I dust off my boxes and bring them out of the dark :)
I love your crossroad blocks but you are so right about them being too skinny for this quilt. The idea of something pale for the borders sounds wonderful! Curious to see what you surround this top with.

margaret said...

how good to have gone on a workshop with Sujata was looking at her book yesterday hoping for inspiration! Tricky finding a borer for the quilt as it is so alive, shame you have not got one of the fabrics used in the quilt that you could use

Kaja said...

I like the idea of a parts department. Auditioning these as the border was an interesting exercise, though I agree they are not quite right. I like the direction you are heading in though - a lighter border would be slightly unexpected but could work really well. Keep going - the right fabric is out there somewhere!

Mystic Quilter said...

I like the reds and purples in your selection of fabric pieces. Your blocks were a great find and prompts me to go and hunt in my box of parts tomorrow morning!

KaHolly said...

You are such an ambitious quilter! I love seeing your work, esp. your thought process!

Ann said...

Reordering the boxes helped; the lights are now top of the stack so they are more visible.i think the quilt is calling for some lights. You have many parts saved, I'm sure. And your Postcards from Thailand quilt is giving me some ideas, especially the middle rounds of light green/blue.

Ann said...

She is an excellent teacher. I'm privileged to know her.
I think this quilt needs a border of blocks or parts and needs some light fabrics. Although the crossroads weren't quite right, I loved the color placements. I'm sure bits of the center colors will end up in the borders, even if he fabrics differ. Thanks, Margaret.

Ann said...

I like it, too, although I wonder if it will become the right parts in the wrong colors. But I can always sew more. The crossroads blocks were thought provoking: good colors, wrong size. I've read thatAnna Williams had huge piles of blocks stashed around her room. Not sure I could stand to climb over them for long, so I'd have to find a storage plan that doesn't hide them away.
I'm glad you think light is the direction, too. I have some more fabrics to test.

Ann said...

You have such beautiful fabrics and I admire all the blocks you've showed. If your parts are leftovers of anyone f these, you have a spectacular quilt tucked away.

Ann said...

I'm so glad you like reading the thought process. It's why I read other blogs. We have the time and space in this venue to share these details. No quilt show can compete. I get such joy Utah of the discussions. Love it when others contribute replies. Creative juices flow! Thanks, Karen.

cspoonquilt said...

Love those cross roads blocks! And the "parts department" is a brilliant idea! cheers!

patty a. said...

Cleaning can be a positive experience yielding such forgotten treasures!

Janie said...

Pollen is in the air! So are butterflies and bugs!
Thanks for sharing. I too love the process.

Ann said...

The Parts Department is an idea from Collaborative Quilts by Moran and Marston. Loads of people have used it over the years but they are the first I know to name it. Very clever.
The crossroads are turning out better thanI expected. It can be difficult to determine what they might look like since they are randomly arranged for cutting. But I'm getting better.

Ann said...

Gosh, I feel so virtuous after all that cleaning. And promising to keep it up. Love a neat, tidy house.

Ann said...

So right, Janie. And glad to have the rain.