Tuesday, July 25, 2017

AHIQ 23: What Would You Say?


CCII

I'm continuing the multi-color border around all sides of this quilt but still have doubts. No matter what color is added, it needs something else. Right now it feels like it needs more blue, navy and perhaps purple. But I've cut too many reds. Although the yellow is much lighter, it adds some fun to the pennants. Maybe...

Continuing multicolor outer border, CCII

#AHIQwords

Kaja and I discussed some ideas and I spent even more time wondering what invitation to extend this quarter. We don't want to push specific blocks. Much as I love scrap quilts, this is not a scrap challenge. AHIQ encourages people to look at their fabrics for the story; to step away from perfect purchased designs and instead explore patterns that speak to your own heart, to discover your own voice.




Several times I've written about my desire to try new-to-me techniques. Although I frequently thread write and even quilted school chants over one quilt, I've never pieced or appliqued words. Why? Well, it's time to change that.

I love Janet Stone's abecedaries. Each is so different. I've read she plans to make twenty-six, one for each letter in the English alphabet. Ricky Tims interviewed her for TQS at the 2016 Quilt Festival.

Then there are phrases on quilts. Some, like Audrey at Quilty Folk and LeeAnna at Nifty Quilts, add nouns to the border. Others, like Monica at Lakeview Quilting, piece a poem or joke. Em enclosed one sentence inside another. Lynne at Patchery Menagerie lists many uses for leftover chicken.

Lorina Bulwer embroidered such long messages or protests across her quilts, they appear to be pamphlets.

Of course, you could simply write your name as Gertrude Knappenberger did on this quilt now in the collection of the American Folk Art Museum.

From the American Folk Art Museum collection,
possibly by Gertrude Knappenberger

Let's raise our voices. Consider how different it would be if we actually stated our goal or reason on our quilts instead of waiting to see what others read into it. Whatever way you choose, I hope you'll consider adding letters to a quilt this quarter.

Enjoy the day, Ann

InLinkz removed because it was hacked.

19 comments:

Monica said...

I hàve several word based quilt ideas that have been waiting their turn. Now I just have to pick one!

I agree that a couple of dark pennants would look good. It's really coming together!

Kaja said...

I think you are on the right lines with that border; it's probably just a matter of tinkering until you get a balance that you like. I've been looking forward to this challenge. Like Monica I have several ideas hovering around, so it's just a matter of deciding what to do.

Ann said...

Oh, good! Now that I've tossed out this invitation my mind is a complete blank for words!
And thanks for confirmation about dark pennants. It's getting away from me at the moment.

Angie in SoCal said...

IMO - a border of one fabric (a print) is needed before you add the pennants. It's just too busy for my eyes. I like the pennants as they are. And adding a border of some fabric means you only have to make a few more with those reds you cut. How about a yellow print? Letters are on my bucket list. I'll move them to #1 spot so I can do some on a quilt this quarter. Thanks for the inspiration.

Cathy said...

Hah! I have 3 UFOs just waiting for me to get words added and a few other things. Maybe, just maybe, this will spur me on. Maybe...

Ann said...

As I wrote on your blog, it would have been better if I'd cut one or two triangles at a time while working out the colors. I cut most a the WOFs I had and have backed myself into a corner of waste. Ha.

Robin said...

My eye wants to see some of the bright green sashing material repeated in the border. Just a thought. . . The quilt has a real "happy" vibe to it.

Ann said...

I hadn't considered a narrow border. You may be right. I'm glad I'm not the only word procrastinator and hope you will join in this quarter.

Ann said...

Wow. I've never found a place to use them and have gotten into the habit of thread writing. But it's time for me to rise to the challenge. Show us which ones you're waiting on and what your ideas are. I'd love to see.

Ann said...

I tried some green similar to the sashing and it just died. Didn't take a photo but could put some fabric squares up.
It does seem happy but a bit quiet, too. Good challenge for me to slow down and think.

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm so pleased you decided on this border and yes, there does seem to be quite a lot of red triangles in there but perhaps a few of the blues or purples you mentioned would be a good idea.
Interesting thoughts on the invitational for this quarter, I have never used words on any of my quilts apart from a small piece which hangs on the door of my sewing area saying "Wabi-sabi" ths was made when there a number of quilters contributing to Victoria Findlay Wolfe's 15 Minutes of Play blog, this was my contribution. Food for thought now!!!

audrey said...

Your border is definitely looking peppier now! This is why I try not to give advice on others quilts very often. lol I always get it wrong! Thanks for another good AHIQ challenge! Will try to work it into my list of potential quilt projects!

Ann said...

Thanks, Maureen. Sometimes I think I should toss this and try a completely different border. But first, I'll cut up blue fabric into pennants.
At least you've made one quilt with words. I've always been interested. Even when I first started quilting I thought about a border with my name (like Gertrude's.) This will be a good kick-in-the-pants for me and hopefully encourage others to try. Once I started looking I was amazed how many interesting ways there are to add words and letters.

Ann said...

It may be too peppy. Can you believe it's me saying that? I like to read what other people suggest. Possible ideas take a more concrete form when it's something I'm working on myself. But I feel free to ignore or revise their suggestions and hope they do the same with mine. They're only ideas.
YOU are one of the quilters I cited in this article who's put words on quilts. In fact, you have several of them. Of course, it's a treat when you join in. You have such creative interpretations.

Mel Beach said...

This year I started adding words to my quilts both bold messages through slice and insert piecing technique as well as more subtle cursive writing in the quilting process. I hope to do more in the future!!

Ann said...

I'm not familiar with that technique, Mel. I'll look for it on your blog. All your work is so inspiring. Thanks.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I didn't have anything particularly ready to link up this time around - but I am most intrigued by this newest challenge for the next quarter. Sounds like a good time to break out my free piecing letter skills . . .

Ann said...

I will look forward to your free pieced letters eagerly. It sounds like fun. I've never pieced letters and am still trying to figure the best way to do it.

Linda in NC said...

Perhaps not a "corner of waste" but rather an "opportunity for a new quilt"! Don't get overly attached to using what you've cut; experience speaking here! I think it's looking good, just keep tinkering on the color balance as Kaja says.