Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Pi Day 2018

Ok, so Pi Day is tomorrow - 3/14 - but I couldn't wait.

I've been wanting to make a Wagon Wheel or Ferris Wheel block for several years, simply haven't gotten around to it. The joy and bane of rotary tools is that they make straight cutting so easy.

The 10-degree wedge ruler was a find at a quilt show... about three years ago. {It had to age on my bookshelf, you know.} When I was finally ready to start, I considered using bright fabrics but have a collection of oddly colored green, beige, red, and white fabrics sitting unused in my stash. Hmm.

Wedge ruler and fabric pull for Ferris Wheel blocks

So I made a sample that turned out to be a mess. Granted, I extended the ends of the ruler in both directions by adding my regular ruler but the wedges are disconcertingly inaccurate. Into the Future Box it went. {Doesn't that sound better than UFO? Like a Hope Chest, perhaps?}

First Wheel

Rod Kiracofe showed a Wheel quilt at a recent lecture with Julie Silber that has similarities with my original plan. The varying blade widths are attractive here.

Julie Silber holds a Wheel quilt
from Rod Kiracofe's collection

On the drive home I remembered Audrey's quilt with striped binding. Red and white striped binding. And I have some red and white stripe fabric. I pulled everything out again adding a random grey-green solid for a background. {I'd forgotten she put quarter circles on her quilt.} Possibilities.

Quarter Ferris wheel block
with red and white striped binding

This was the last photo I snapped before leaving on the family emergency so there's no telling when I will get back to it or how it may change. Well, it's been in the Future Box before.

What other circles have I made this past year? Well, I finished the Thirty Year Sampler

Thirty Year Sampler quilt

and Rabbit 1.

Rabbit 1, a Strips 'n Curves variation

Pluto and the moon on these Christmas stockings,

Velveteen Christmas stockings for grandchildren

the Racetrack quilt,

Racetrack quilt
Circular Anomaly {which isn't finished},

Circular Anomaly quilt in progress

and the Propeller baby quilt {which is still basted but not quilted.}

Start Your Engines propeller baby quilt basted

Not a bad collection of Pi(e)s. Off to make an apple pie. Lots of family around so it will be gone before it's cooled. Yum!

Enjoy the day, Ann

21 comments:

Kaja said...

I never remembered pi day before I read your blog, Ann, but now we always celebrate it. I like your 'funny' collection of fabrics a lot; I hope they don't have to spend too long waiting for your next visit.

patty a. said...

The photo doesn't show that the wedge circle is out of wack. Maybe there is enough play in it that you can get it flat enough. It makes me wonder how the maker of that vintage quilt was able to make the wedge circle with different widths? Now that would take some skill! Hope your family emergency works out for the best.

Robin said...

What a fun post for pi day. I love the wheel you made and the way the secondary fabric changes as my eye goes around the circle. It's very playful.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

geez.....there are so many quilts I want to do yet! I love the rabbits!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

This was a fun post for Pi day but oh my your other circle projects are just amazing!!!

audrey said...

I love that quilt you referred to, the one with the red/white sashing! It's actually been on my bed since Christmas and it never grows old to me.:) I have a wedge ruler languishing in the drawer. Must think about a project to put it to good use! Your partially formed idea definitely has great possibilities!

Ann said...

Any excuse to eat pi(e)!
I like these fabrics, too. I think I'm in the mood for soft quilts these days. We'll see what happens when I get back to it.

Ann said...

I think it would appear flat with an applique circle on top but the center is way more than 360 degrees. Perhaps the maker pieced on paper. She definitely had skill.
It's working out, just sad for us all. We weren't expecting this so soon.

Ann said...

I'm pleased with those fabrics but not as pleased with my piecing. However, I'll get back to it when next I'm home.

Ann said...

We both love to get sidetracked. That's where most of the fun happens. Ha!

Ann said...

Thanks, Deb. I never think I make many circles; too many rotary cut quilts. Posting them at once is always a surprise. Enjoy some Pi(e) today.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Love all your "pies"--especially Racetrack! Circular Anomaly is pretty wonderful too--what a fun project!

Ann said...

Oh, good. It's one of my favorites, too. That red and white stripe for the sashing gets me every time.
Hopefully I'll be able to get back to this one soon.

Ann said...

Thanks, Karen. My grandson loves the racetrack. I'm glad I made it in time for him to enjoy. Louisa Smith designs stunning quilts. It was fun to work through her design although I rarely use patterns. Lots of learning.

9658 Textiles said...

Woah! propeller baby! love love love it! you make a lot of quilts! lol I am impressed and dazzled, blow away, shocked, not to mention inspired.

Cathy said...

Sorry to hear you are still dealing with family emergency issues.

I can see why Audrey's quilt inspired you. (Me too). Your Ferris Wheel looks like it's off to a great start. I also just love that vintage wheel quilt. I bookmarked it when you first showed it hoping I will get to making one like it someday.

You have made quite the collection of wonderful circle quilts. Congrats. They, too, are inspiring.

Ann said...

Thanks. It helps when they are small like these. And many are made from leftover blocks.

Ann said...

Audrey's quilt is one of my favorites. Love the way she used the red and white stripe as sashing but forgot the rest... except that the colors were soft. So I was surprised how much mine looks like hers. I promise not to peek at hers again until mine is finished.

Mystic Quilter said...

Stunning collection you have shown us here Ann, all beautiful. Your new circle, love the addition of the red and white stripe, I would never have though of doing that!

Ann said...

Thanks, Maureen. Audrey's quilt gave me the idea of using red and white stripe. I've seen several with black and white strips as narrow sashing but was struck by hers.

patty a. said...

A circle out of paper for a guide - I didn't think of that. That would be good way to use up scraps.